Thursday, April 19, 2012

Black Bean Salad

 Black Bean Salad


Homemade Black Beans
1 bag of black beans rinsed and soaked 8 hours, rinsed and soaked again 8 hours
1 onion 
5 garlic gloves
1 jalapeno pepper
oregano
parsley
salt
pepper
chicken stock
bacon fat


In large dutch oven, add rinsed beans. Cover with water. Add bacon fat, onion, garlic and pepper. Add oregano and parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer over med-low for four hours. Add chicken stock (about 1/4 box or more) and salt and pepper liberally. Simmer 3-4 more hours. Check for tenderness and taste for salt. Add more parsley, oregano, and S&P. 


For the Salad


2-3 cups of black beans drained
1 bag frozen corn
1/2 red onion sliced thin
3 vine ripe tomatoes 
2 avocados
1 small jalapeno, chopped
5 small sweet peppers, chopped
lime juice (I used 8 key limes)
Fresh cilantro, parsley, chives
salt and pepper


Juice limes in a small bowl. Cut avocado into chunks and put it in the lime juice.
In a large bowl, add beans, corn, diced tomatoes (salt them now), sliced onions, peppers and herbs. Stir well. Add avocados and lime juice, more salt and pepper. Stir well. Taste for seasoning and serve with chips!

I took this salad to our Church Women's night event for Fiesta. It was gone by the time I got to it in the buffet line! I guess I'll double the recipe next time! It was really good. My garden is paying off! My cilantro seeds have produced several little plants. My chives and parsley are still thriving from last year, so if you have an herb garden, by all means, USE IT!!!
Hopefully next month, I'll have tomatoes and peppers ready to be eaten too!

I'm joining 

8 comments:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh my goodness, this looks just fabulous! I would love to have this on hand for lunch!
YUMMY!
Thanks for sharing.
Yvonne

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Wow, I need to make this soon...so yummy! Hubby would just adore this salad. Thank you for sharing and Happy Earth Day!
FABBY

Sarah said...

Love this kind of salad. This one looks delicious!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

My mouth is watering! I just began cooking and freezing my own beans but I love your recipe with the 'additions' and will try this with my next round. The salad look SO yummy -- pinning to my recipe board.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Meridith,
I could make a whole meal from your Salad, I just love it! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

poppilinnstudios said...

Looks delicious!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Meredith said...

Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails